Translated by Carl Doving, 1867-1937
Text From: The Lutheran Hymnal (St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1941
1. To God the anthem raising, Sing, Christians, great and small; Sing out, His
goodness praising, Oh, thank Him one and all! Behold how God this year, Which now is
safely ended, Hath in His love befriended
His children far and near.
2. Let us consider rightly His mercies manifold
And let us not think lightly Of all His gifts untold.
Let thankfulness recall
How God this year hath led us, How He hath clothed and fed us, The great ones and
3. To Church and State He granted His peace in every place,
His vineyard He hath planted Among us by His grace.
His ever bounteous hand Prosperity hath given
And want and famine driven From this our native land.
4. His Father heart is yearning To take us for His own
When, our transgressions mourning, We trust in Christ alone; When in His name we pray And humbly make confession, He pardons our transgression And is our faithful Stay.
5. O Father dear in heaven, For all Thy gifts of love Which Thou to us hast given
We lift our thanks above. In Jesus’ name we here, To Thee our prayers addressing, Still ask Thee for Thy blessing: Grant us a joyful year.